From WordPress today, a challenge to write a post without using a single three letter word.
I am never able to resist a tightly restrictive challenge!
As soon as I start, I find three-letter words wanting to jump into every sentence I write. I have to include them: not but and the who can are all (*numbers below refer to these outlawed words)
Is there a writing lesson in this challenge? What am I to do in my writing today if I want to keep to these designated guidelines?
- stay positive (#1*: “I do want to go….”)
- agree (#2: no objections)
- state things simply, in short sentences. Insert a period where this word might normally go (#3)
- give your writing a punch by omitting this word (#3 again). Instead, stack up clauses using commas.
- experiment with multiples (#4: some, several, those…)
- be vague or personal (again #4: “I tripped over a…” “I tripped over your…”)
- go high-falutin’ (#5: “whomsoever aspires to write a post without using…”)
- delete whenever it pops up (#6: is it actually necessary in your sentence?)
- find those fancy verbs or employ (!) simple forms of verbs (#7)
- divide (#8: “everyone except Marianne…”)
Really fun…good use of the prompt! http://lilypupslife.wordpress.com/
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it.